From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Daily devotions for 06-13-2004:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: Take Freely
Evening Title: The State of Holiness
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: Take Freely
"Whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.", --Revelation 22:17

Jesus says, "take freely." He wants no payment or
preparation. He seeks no recommendation from our
virtuous emotions. If you have no good feelings,
if you be but willing, you are invited; therefore
come! You have no belief and no repentance,--come
to Him, and He will give them to you. Come just
as you are, and take "Freely," without money and
without price. He gives Himself to needy ones.
The drinking fountains at the corners of our
streets are valuable institutions; and we can
hardly imagine any one so foolish as to feel for
his purse, when he stands before one of them, and
to cry, "I cannot drink because I have not five
pounds in my pocket." However poor the man is,
there is the fountain, and just as he is he may
drink of it. Thirsty passengers, as they go by,
whether they are dressed in fustian or in
broadcloth, do not look for any warrant for
drinking; its being there is their warrant for
taking its water freely. The liberality of some
good friends has put the refreshing crystal there
and we take it, and ask no questions.

Perhaps the only persons who need go thirsty
through the street where there is a drinking
fountain, are the fine ladies and gentlemen who
are in their carriages. They are very thirsty,
but cannot think of being so vulgar as to get out
to drink. It would demean them, they think, to
drink at a common drinking fountain: so they ride
by with parched lips. Oh, how many there are who
are rich in their own good works and cannot
therefore come to Christ! "I will not be saved,"
they say, "in the same way as the harlot or the
swearer." What! go to heaven in the same way as a
chimney sweep. Is there no pathway to glory but
the path which led the thief there? I will not be
saved that way. Such proud boasters must remain
without the living water; but, "WHOSOEVER WILL,
LET HIM TAKE THE WATER OF LIFE FREELY."

Evening: The State of Holiness
"Remove far from me vanity and lies."    --Proverbs 30:8

"O my God, be not far from me." Psalm 38:21. Here
we have two great lessons--what to deprecate and
what to supplicate. The happiest state of a
Christian is the holiest state. As there is the
most heat nearest to the sun, so there is the
most happiness nearest to Christ.  No Christian
enjoys comfort when his eyes are fixed on
vanity--he finds no satisfaction unless his soul
is quickened in the ways of God. The world may
win happiness elsewhere, but he cannot. I do not
blame ungodly men for rushing to their pleasures.
Why should I? Let them have their fill. That is
all they have to enjoy. A converted wife who
despaired of her husband was always very kind to
him, for she said, "I fear that this is the only
world in which he will be happy, and therefore I
have made up my mind to make him as happy as I
can in it." Christians must seek their delights
in a higher sphere than the insipid frivolities
or sinful enjoyments of the world. Vain pursuits
are dangerous to renewed souls. We have heard of
a philosopher who, while he looked up to the
stars, fell into a pit; but how deeply do they
fall who look down. Their fall is fatal.

No Christian is safe when his soul is slothful,
and his God is far from him. Every Christian is
always safe as to the great matter of his
standing in Christ, but he is not safe as regards
his experience in holiness, and communion with
Jesus in this life. Satan does not often attack a
Christian who is living near to God. It is when
the Christian departs from his God, becomes
spiritually starved, and endeavours to feed on
vanities, that the devil discovers his vantage
hour. He may sometimes stand foot to foot with
the child of God who is active in his Master's
service, but the battle is generally short: he
who slips as he goes down into the Valley of
Humiliation, every time he takes a false step
invites Apollyon to assail him. O for grace to
walk humbly with our God!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/IYOolB/TM
Daftar : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Keluar : [EMAIL PROTECTED]