From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Daily devotions for 06-14-2004:
Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: Holiness and Delight
Evening Title: Sinning Christians
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: Holiness and Delight
"Delight thyself also in the Lord." --Psalm 37:4

The teaching of these words must seem very surprising to those who are strangers to
vital godliness, but to the sincere believer it is only the inculcation of a
recognized truth. The life of the believer is here described as a delight in God, and
we are thus certified of the great fact that true religion overflows with happiness
and joy. Ungodly persons and mere professors never look upon religion as a joyful
thing; to them it is service, duty, or necessity, but never pleasure or delight. If
they attend to religion at all, it is either that they may gain thereby, or else
because they dare not do otherwise. The thought of delight in religion is so strange
to most men, that no two words in their language stand further apart than "holiness"
and "delight." But believers who know Christ, understand that delight and faith are so
blessedly united, that the gates of hell cannot prevail to separate them.

They who love God with all their hearts, find that His ways are ways of pleasantness,
and all His paths are peace. Such joys, such brimful delights, such overflowing
blessednesses, do the saints discover in their Lord, that so far from serving Him from
custom, they would follow Him though all the world cast out His name as evil.
We fear not God because of any compulsion; our faith is no fetter, our profession is
no bondage, we are not dragged to holiness, nor driven to duty. No, our piety is our
pleasure, our hope is our happiness, our duty is our delight. Delight and true
religion are as allied as root and flower; as indivisible as truth and certainty; they
are, in fact, two precious jewels glittering side by side in a setting of gold.

"'Tis when we taste Thy love,
Our joys divinely grow,
Unspeakable like those above,
And heaven begins below."

Evening: Sinning Christians
"O Lord, to us belongeth confusion of
face...because we have sinned against Thee." --Daniel 9:8

A deep sense and clear sight of sin, its heinousness, and the punishment which it
deserves, should make us lie low before the throne. We have sinned as Christians.
Alas! that it should be so. Favoured as we have been, we have yet been ungrateful:
privileged beyond most, we have not brought forth fruit in proportion.
Who is there, although he may long have been engaged in the Christian warfare, that
will not blush when he looks back upon the past? As for our days before we were
regenerated, may they be forgiven and forgotten; but since then, though we have not
sinned as before, yet we have sinned against light and against love--light which has
really penetrated our minds, and love in which we have rejoiced. Oh, the atrocity of
the sin of a pardoned soul! An unpardoned sinner sins cheaply compared with the sin of
one of God's own elect ones, who has had communion with Christ and leaned his head
upon Jesus' bosom.

Look at David! Many will talk of his sin, but I pray you look at his repentance, and
hear his broken bones, as each one of them moans out its dolorous confession! Mark his
tears, as they fall upon the ground, and the deep sighs with which he accompanies the
softened music of his harp! We have erred: let us, therefore, seek the spirit of
penitence. Look, again, at Peter! We speak much of Peter's denying his Master.
Remember, it is written, "He wept bitterly." Have we no denials of our Lord to be
lamented with tears? Alas! these sins of ours, before and after conversion, would
consign us to the place of inextinguishable fire if it were not for the sovereign
mercy which has made us to differ, snatching us like brands from the burning. My soul,
bow down under a sense of thy natural sinfulness, and worship thy God.
Admire the grace which saves thee--the mercy which spares thee--the love which pardons
thee!

Daily devotions for 06-15-2004:

Devotion: Morning and Evening
Morning Title: Join in Laughter
Evening Title: The Rose of Admission
Do you enjoy this devotional? Send it on to a friend!

Morning: Join in Laughter
"And Sarah said, God hath made me to laugh, so
that all that hear will laugh with me." --Genesis 21:6

It was far above the power of nature, and even contrary to its laws, that the aged
Sarah should be honoured with a son; and even so it is beyond all ordinary rules that
I, a poor, helpless, undone sinner, should find grace to bear about in my soul the
indwelling Spirit of the Lord Jesus.
I, who once despaired, as well I might, for my nature was as dry, and withered, and
barren, and accursed as a howling wilderness, even I have been made to bring forth
fruit unto holiness.
Well may my mouth be filled with joyous laughter, because of the singular, surprising
grace which I have received of the Lord, for I have found Jesus, the promised seed,
and He is mine for ever. This day will I lift up psalms of triumph unto the Lord who
has remembered my low estate, for "my heart rejoiceth in the Lord; mine horn is
exalted in the Lord; my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies, because I rejoice in Thy
salvation."

I would have all those that hear of my great deliverance from hell, and my most
blessed visitation from on high, laugh for joy with me. I would surprise my family
with my abundant peace; I would delight my friends with my ever-increasing happiness;
I would edify the Church with my grateful confessions; and even impress the world with
the cheerfulness of my daily conversation. Bunyan tells us that Mercy laughed in her
sleep, and no wonder when she dreamed of Jesus; my joy shall not stop short of hers
while my Beloved is the theme of my daily thoughts. The Lord Jesus is a deep sea of
joy: my soul shall dive therein, shall be swallowed up in the delights of His society.
Sarah looked on her Isaac, and laughed with excess of rapture, and all her friends
laughed with her; and thou, my soul, look on thy Jesus, and bid heaven and earth unite
in thy joy unspeakable.

Evening: The Rose of Admission
"He openeth, and no man shutteth." --Revelation 3:7

Jesus is the keeper of the gates of paradise and
before every believing soul He setteth an open door, which no man or devil shall be
able to close against it. What joy it will be to find that faith in Him is the golden
key to the everlasting doors. My soul, dost thou carry this key in thy bosom, or art
thou trusting to some deceitful pick-lock, which will fail thee at last? Hear this
parable of the preacher, and remember it. The great King has made a banquet, and He
has proclaimed to all the world that none shall enter but those who bring with them
the fairest flower that blooms. The spirits of men advance to the gate by thousands,
and they bring each one the flower which he esteems the queen of the garden; but in
crowds they are driven from the royal presence, and enter not into the festive halls.

Some bear in their hand the deadly nightshade of superstition, or the flaunting
poppies of Rome, or the hemlock of self-righteousness, but these are not dear to the
King, the bearers are shut out of the pearly gates.  My soul, hast thou gathered the
rose of Sharon? Dost thou wear the lily of the valley in thy bosom constantly? If so,
when thou comest up to the gates of heaven thou wilt know its value, for thou hast
only to show this choicest of flowers, and the Porter will open: not for a moment will
He deny thee admission, for to that rose the Porter openeth ever.  Thou shalt find thy
way with the rose of Sharon in thy hand up to the throne of God Himself, for heaven
itself possesses nothing that excels its radiant beauty, and of all the flowers that
bloom in paradise there is none that can rival the lily of the valley. My soul, get
Calvary's blood-red rose into thy hand by faith, by love wear it, by communion
preserve it, by daily watchfulness make it thine all in all, and thou shalt be blessed
beyond all bliss, happy beyond a dream.  Jesus, be mine for ever, my God, my heaven,
my all.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/IYOolB/TM
Daftar : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Keluar : [EMAIL PROTECTED]