Dear Ajay,

I always read your postings with great taste and try to correct myself
often. Your previous posting on Dr Baba Saheb Ambedkar was nice. what i felt
was that Dr Ambedkar wanted to give a blow to the higher caste people but he
never wanted to sever himself from Hinduism. That's why he opted to protect
the Indian-ness of the Dalits.

At the end of this posting you have quoted Dr Ambedkar as saying
*"Ours is a battle not for wealth or for power.
It is a battle for freedom. It is a battle for the reclamation of human
personality."
- Dr BR Ambedkar*

The battle of freedom for the Dalits is necessary but you should also know
that the biggest enemy among other things for the Dalits and tribal people
today is the liquor. I have seen lakhs of Dalit families ravaged simply
because of liquor. You may hold the upper caste responsible even 60 years of
independence but from my experience I feel that the Dalits should be first
freed from liquor.
My experience as crime reporter in Chhattisgarh was that majority of the
criminals arrested are from the backward communities. They commit crimes in
a fit of rage when they are under the influence of liquor. Most of the
farmers committing suicide are also drunkards.
The irony is that the Indian state which claims to be a welfare state
considers liquor (Excise revenue) as a major source of income. Majority of
the upper caste people stay away from liquor while entrapped are the Dalits,
backwards and the Tribals.
 If you have to wage a war for the freedom of the Dalits and other backward
communities, you should launch a movement against liquor.
I would like to recall the poverty my family had seen till 1974 but it was
our resolve not to stoop ourselves to the level that we become tipplers,
saved our family. It is not the poverty alone but the other evils that come
along with poverty are dangerous. Here your commitment to your Samskar or
your values plays a vital role in saving.

G MANJU SAINATH
  • Hi... Ajay
    • ... A M Tiwari , Sanjeev Chopra , Prabha Ghate , Senthil Raja , Manoj padhi
    • ... G MANJU SAINATH