I suspected that webstart will be deprecated but ...
that raises interesting questions:
- why is the java 9 doc not up to date?
 https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/deploy/toc.html (explicitly describes
webstart)
- what would be a (future?) technology to update deliveries? (needed!)

(and btw this: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/docs/specs/jar/jar.html
<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/docs/specs/jar/jar.html> is not also up to
date since it does not says anywhere that -jar option was not compatible with
modular jars )

thanks