On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Craig T Martin <cmar...@chem.umass.edu>wrote:

> Bob,
>
>    I wouldn't be so dismissive of the iPad/iPhone revolution. Clearly the
> latter looks to be dominating the smart phone market, despite it's higher
> price tag. It wasn't that long ago that experts were dismissive of Apple
> overall (or dismissive of mice and the GUI, for that matter). jmol risks
> being left behind if it is not adapted to a platform with a growing user
> base. I do appreciate that Apple's omitting Java support has made adapting
> jmol very challenging, but I would love someone to rise to this challenge -
> for my own and for jmol's sake.

It's not that I'm dismissive. Apple appeals strongly to the early adopter
community -- I understand that. But before you jump for a new iPad, read
the reviews of the iPad 3 and do consider the Android tablet instead. My
son and I absolutely love our Samsung, and I can't IMAGINE trading it for
an iPad. It's just hands down a better environment. Apple's a game changer
company, but how much  of that fanatical enthusiasm is warranted for that
particular platform when so many other tablet-based options are available
and so more flexible? What exactly is the appeal of a tablet that is so
restrictive when other alternatives are available that let you do what you
really want to do?

1520 St. Olaf Ave.
Northfield, MN 55057
http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr
phone: 507-786-3107

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900