All,

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Egon Willighagen
<egon.willigha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I find it very disturbing that educators are even considering creating
> a learning environment where students are restricted in their
> learning! That is just another step back to the middle ages... Henry,
> I very much appreciate that people use the platform on which they can
> perform their work most efficient; do not disallow your students the
> same choice!

I like to clarify this point a bit. In was partly in reply to the
email from Henry, but also to other emails in this thread.

What I observe at many universities is plans where the university has
beautiful plans how they like to teach students. This can be a choice
for using iPad to show students protein structures, as outed in the
email thread. We have seen this for a long time: we select one
pedagogical book for a topic. However, that one book may not align
best with how all students learn; probably it will with the majority,
but not all.

Maastricht University expects students to decide themselves which book
to pick, and we here offer them two or three options. However, this
has as downside that they can only read them at the university, as we
do not provide those books for free, nor expect them to buy them
(which they would not be able to, anyway).

Here, the educational institute 'knows best' how the students will
learn. However, all students have their own way of learning. Some
prefer learning basic facts by heart, others prefer understanding and
apply systems later. Similarly, there are various ways to explain
something. Pure mathematics, visual explanation, explanation by
example. Books prefer solutions. But who are we to decide what is
best? Should we keep acting like a church that describes what is best
for the flock?

That is where my clumsy referral to the middle ages come from: an
institute that decides what it best, leaving no option for
alternatives. I should have phrased it like that.

My apologies that the email reads like a flamebait; I am strong about
teaching students to think for themselves, which requires giving them
room to make choices for themselves; I was overenthusiastic about it.

Egon

--
Dr E.L. Willighagen
Postdoctoral Researcher