On 02/04/2015 11:20 AM, Angel Herráez wrote:
> Rolf, you may be right, but
>
> 1. the css solution is much cleaner in code and smooth in behaviour;
> apart from window resize it responds perfectly to font size change or
> browser zoom setting
>
> 2. based on my past experience, the js code for resizing is rather
> browser-dependent and so tricky to achieve properly

I agree that the CSS solution is preferable and that it is much more
tricky to get a similar result with Javascript.
You could for example additionally use a timer to check for additional
changes. And you can find out if an element is in the visible area. so
you could place some elements (e.g. invisible by having background
color). But I havn't tested if this works correctly with browser zoom.

> 3. I just checked and --despite my previous comment-- that is not the
> problem. See e.g.
> http://biomodel.uah.es/Jmol/resizable/model-1_1a-js2.htm
> where the popup menu works just fine

This page demonstrates exactly the secondary problem which I described
in my first response:

If I 'right-click' near the bottom of JSmol most of the popup menu is
clipped of.

But even after removing the 'overflow:hidden' from the '<body>' tag it
is impossible for me to get into the popup menu with the mouse after a
left-click onto the 'frank'. I can just see the scrollbars appearing.
But if I scroll down and move the mouse the scrollbars (and the menu)
disappear.
Only after reducing the size of the JSmol window to 98% instead of 100%
I could manage to get onto the menu with the mouse. But it still was
quite difficult. So I would recommend to reduce it a little bit further.

Regards,
Rolf
--

Rolf Huehne
Postdoc

Leibniz Institute for Age Research - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI)
Beutenbergstrasse 11
07745 Jena, Germany

Phone:   +49 3641 65 6205
Fax:     +49 3641 65 6210
E-Mail:  rhue...@fli-leibniz.de
Website: http://www.fli-leibniz.de

           Scientific Director: Prof. Dr. K. Lenhard Rudolph
        Head of Administration: Dr. Daniele Barthel
Chairman of Board of Trustees: Dennys Klein

VAT No: DE 153 925 464
Register of Associations: No. 230296, Amtsgericht Jena
Tax Number: 162/141/08228