Hi Lukas,

Thanks so much for responding to me!  For starters, I agree with you.  I
think what I am trying to do sort of goes against what JOOQ is trying to do.
Yes, sometimes I definitely ramble and think aloud as I go along :-)
Before I start a new message, I'll describe the issue in a minimal fashion
here:

-Communicating with a Postgresql Dialect (but will be many other dialects)
-Postgresql doesn't support NaN input into a bigint/INT8 field.  JOOQ knows
this.
-JOOQ converts my NaN input into a 0, as should be expected.

The question is:  Is there any programatic way in org.jooq.conf.Settings
(or anywhere else) that will force JOOQ to perform conversions, but NOT
convert NaN?  My mission is to
allow the NaN to be produced in the org.jooq.DslContext.InsertInto query
output, and let that value get to the database and error out.

Thank you again for reading through my messages.  Again, I realize I am
trying to perform something that I believe JOOQ is not intended to do.  But
if there is a way, that would be awesome.
:-)
-Charlie

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 2:33 AM, Lukas Eder <lukas.e...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> Thank you very much for your messages. I see, you've been kinda having a
> conversation with yourself. :)
>
> In order to get to the same level, would you mind starting a new
> conversation again with the current state of your findings? Also, do not
> yet make any assumptions about a possible improvement that is required to
> jOOQ to fix your issue, prior to clearly communicating what your findings
> are, ideally via a MVCE:
> https://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve
>
> For example, I have no idea how to reproduce your issue, and I'm not even
> convinced that you really found a flaw or glitch in jOOQ, you might just be
> using the API wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> Lukas

>> LOL, nope...I was wrong.  It was not preserved.
>>
>> On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 11:18:39 AM UTC-7, Charles Henry wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I realize that one of the purposes of JOOQ is to ensure safe datatype
>>> conversions, and this question may be flying in the face of the purpose of
>>> JOOQ.
>>>
>>> I see that deep under the hood, say when communicating with Amazon
>>> Redshift, a BigInt or INT8 is treated as a Double, and if passed a "NaN"
>>> the value passed is treated as Double.NaN, which gets casted around and
>>> passed into Long.valueOf, which safely converts my NaN to a 0.
>>>
>>> I see no API hooks to disable this conversion.  Is there anything I can
>>> do to force JOOQ to keep the NaN regardless of datatype and SQL dialect?
>>>
>>> Thanks folks,
>>> -Charlie
>>>
>> --
>>

> --

Charles Henry
Sr. Software Engineer Snaps Team
che...@snaplogic.com

*SnapLogic Inc | 1825 South Grant Street, 5th Floor | San Mateo CA 94402 |
USA*

This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise
protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have
received it by mistake, please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it
from your system; you may not copy this message or disclose its contents to
anyone. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed on
the Internet.