Am Sonntag, den 10.01.2010, 16:31 +0100 schrieb Karl Guggisberg:
> Hi,
>
> >  It's always a single quite in English, but perhaps they're double
> >  quotes in the JOSM source to work around something?:
>
> tr("abc") doesn't use MessageFormat. A single quote in tr("...") therefore
> isn't a meta-character and is copied to the output.
>    tr("a single quote ' ")  ->  "a single quote '"
>
> tr("a {0}", "test") uses MessageFormat. There, single quotes are
> meta-character. A single quote is the (close) equivalent to  \ in regexp: it
> allows to escape curly braces. '} is }, '' is '.Therefore, if you have a I18n
> string with format placeholders and single quotes, you MUST escape them with
> two quotes. If you don't MessageFormat won't process the format placeholders
> correctly and single quotes are deleted.
>    tr("a single quote '' - {0} ", "OK")  ->  "a single quote ' - OK"
>    tr("a single quote ' - {0} ", "NOK")  ->  "a single quote  - NOK"  (or "a
> single quote - {0}" because formatting fails)

Ok, understood. Only thing is, that in Launchpad I cannot see whether it
is a MessageFormat or not. So I have to trust the original text to be in
correct format, haven't I?

> At least that's what you have to do today unless somebody changes the tr()
> implementations in I18n. If tr("...") was to use MessageFormat too, single
> quotes would always have to be escaped with another single quote.
>
> >  The HTML is rendered by some internal Java stuff, both of those tags
> >  work just as well when fed to it so I don't think it needs to be fixed
> >  either way.
> AFAIK, the internal Java stuff doesn't support "<br/>". Even worse, if you
> use it instead of"<br>" the HTML rendering is sometimes messed up. This holds
> for labels, tooltips and for JEditorPane.

I'll check that later this evening.

> Am 10.01.2010 16:13, schrieb Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason:
> > On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 15:00, Andre Hinrichs<andre.hinri...@gmx.de>  wrote:
> >
> >> Hi List!
> >>
> >> Since I currently check all translatable texts I found that sometimes
> >> quotes are single and sometimes double. E.g. "isn't" is sometimes simply
> >> "isn't" and sometimes "isn''t".
> >>
> >> Which is the correct way?
> >>
> > It's always a single quite in English, but perhaps they're double
> > quotes in the JOSM source to work around something?:
> >
> > aoeu josm (r2766) $ ack "tr\(.*isn''t" src
> > src/org/openstreetmap/josm/gui/download/BoundingBoxSelection.java
> > 219:                setErrorMessage(tfLatValue,tr("The string ''{0}''
> > isn''t a valid double value.", tfLatValue.getText()));
> > 251:                setErrorMessage(tfLonValue,tr("The string ''{0}''
> > isn''t a valid double value.", tfLonValue.getText()));
> >
> > src/org/openstreetmap/josm/gui/widgets/BoundingBoxSelectionPanel.java
> > 160:                feedbackInvalid(tr("The string ''{0}'' isn''t a
> > valid double value.", getComponent().getText()));
> > 200:                feedbackInvalid(tr("The string ''{0}'' isn''t a
> > valid double value.", getComponent().getText()));
> >
> > src/org/openstreetmap/josm/gui/dialogs/changeset/query/AdvancedChangesetQueryPanel.java
> > 533:                    throw new IllegalStateException(tr("Current
> > value ''{0}'' for user ID isn''t valid", tfUid.getText()));
> >

> >> Forthermore I find sometimes american english (e.g. 'initialize').
> >> Wasn't the overall policy to use british english?
> >>
> > I thought the source default was en_US since if it was en_GB the
> > existing en_GB translation would be pointless (and we'd need a en_US
> > one).

Makes sense. The "only british english" policy is for the OSM tags, I
think.

> >> And finally sometimes I find XHTML style end tags in translated texts
> >> (e.g. '<br />' instead of'<br>'). By now I haven't found any in the
> >> source. Is it ok to use them or should these be fixed?
> >>
> > The HTML is rendered by some internal Java stuff, both of those tags
> > work just as well when fed to it so I don't think it needs to be fixed
> > either way.

Thank you both for the quit response!

Regards
Andre