> But, in written language these shortcuts are consided casual and they
> are not used in formal texts, AFAIK.  That's why I use this in emails,
> but not in the user interface of a program.
>
> Do we have any native English speakers here?

      To place it in context, program messages that use poor grammar stick
in my mind and reflect poorly on the program, but I would not give program
messages that use contractions a second thought.   While program messages
should be a bit more formal than email, I have never considered that program
message formality level should match a formal business paper letter.  (I may
be wrong.  Disclaimer: I'm not a top grammar student).