On Sun, 13 Jun 2010, Matthias Julius wrote:

> All I am suggesting is to make this a bit more explicit by saying
> something like "Translators: please update your translation now if you
> want it to be in the next release. Developer: please don't make any
> major changes and don't change any translated strings." in your
> announcement of an upcoming release and give a deadline for this of a
> few days.  Of course, this only helps if translators get to see the
> announcement.

Here is the major problem:
- We do not have really anyone who is responsible or even the contact
   addresses of translators
- New translators are coming, others going.
- Each translator seems to be active a short time only (except me, which
   is tied due to other reasons to the project).
- Most of them aren't on josm-dev.

Actually I currently have no idea how to fix that situation. On the other
hand I assume without Launchpad and the "everyone can do" method we would
have much lower number of translators and translated strings.

Launchpad has a system to do translators groups with mailingslists and
rules and so on. But I fear introducing this will reduce the number of
participating people and thus have a contrary effect.

Ciao