On Sun, 13 Jun 2010, Russ Nelson wrote:

> This works.  It's a pain, but it works.  You have to have somebody who
> acts as a release manager.  They have to be willing to prod people
> into action, to follow up, to make the announcements everywhere, to
> check and double-check.  If you don't do this, then you don't have a
> project.  You just have code.

Everything you tell in your mail tells me several things:
a) You have absolutely no knowledge of JOSM release process
b) You have no knowledge of different development models and OpenSource.
c) You have no knowledge of motivation.

What you describe is ONE and only one method how it can work. And actually
I doubt this method works really good for OpenSource. I know only few
projects which actually use this "Old style" commercial way of software
development with success. There are lots of other methods and JOSM uses
one of the other methods. You should read a lot about motivation,
Opensource in general and programming models. I suggest you to learn a bit
about "eXtreme Programming" - it is the closest to JOSM development model
you may find. If you want I can tell you several good books one should
have read to understand how and why programming is done.

Contrary to you I don't know what's right or wrong, I only know what works
or not and JOSM works - it is actively developed and used.

I don't like flames like the letter you wrote and probably I should have
ignored it as I usually try to do, but sometimes I can't, especially as
currently I'm responsible for JOSM development, so your flames were
directed at me personally.

I've heard it so often: OpenSource can't work, its not organized.
Wikipedia can't work, no one controls it. OpenStreeMap can't work, people
can't be surveyors. Maybe I can't say why it works, but at least I do
understand that it works.

BTW: I miss the massive work on JOSM you did to improve the situation.

Ciao