Ian Dees writes:
 > Hi JOSM Devs,
 >
 > I'd like to implement a feature in JOSM that applies the tags from the
 > clipboard to every new way or node created. I think this would be useful for
 > creating powerlines (apply power=tower to every new node in the way) or for
 > a set of buildings along a street (addr:street=* to every new building).
 >
 > Does anyone have any ideas for how the interface for this might work? Maybe
 > a menu with toggles in it?

Perhaps you could select one of the presets to be "default"?  Have a
checkbox in the preset dialog which says "Apply this preset
automatically."  When you create a new node/way/relation, if the
default preset is not unsuitable, apply its values to the new item
just as if the user had clicked "Apply Preset" while not selecting
anything in the dialog.

At the end of the Presets drop-down menu could be a "Default Preset"
which would pop up the preset whose checkbox is currently selected.
Would ordinarily be greyed out if nothing had been checked.

Only thing wrong I see with this is that you have to create a new
preset if no existing preset will set the attributes you want.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog