On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 12:51:55PM +0100, Tobias Wendorff wrote:
Hi there,

JOSM is one of the best mapping tools with topological support.
In comparism to widely spread CAD software, like Microstation,
it's reduced to the needs of a mapper. Missing features, like
mapping bank/slops can easily be added by external python scripts.

My clients often ask whether JOSM can be used for non-OSM data or
mapped data strictly has to be release under ODbL (or similar).

JOSM is licensed under the GNU GPL, which guarantees the four freedoms listed at https://gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

The first one seems to apply here:

"The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0)."

Only if you import some data sources into JOSM and create a derivative work based on that, then the copyright licenses of those data sources could apply.

If there are such terms and conditions, would it be possible to
use OSM for commercial mapping when donating to the OSM foundation
or JOSM developers? I know many people, who would pay a fee for
using JOSM, since it's exactly what they need to simplify daily
work and raise productivity.

Of course, it is always a good idea to support the project, even if you are not legally required to do so.

        Marko (not an active JOSM developer)