And another data point: the implementation in Vespucci does not sort by
id (not only in theory, the output is really not ordered, which doesn't
cause issues with JOSM).

Or put differently: if that becomes a requirement, it would be a good
idea to versionize the format (which naturally wouldn't actually solve
your issue).

Simon