On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 10:51:36AM +0200, Simon Poole wrote:
> And another data point: the implementation in Vespucci does not sort by
> id (not only in theory, the output is really not ordered, which doesn't
> cause issues with JOSM).
>
> Or put differently: if that becomes a requirement, it would be a good
> idea to versionize the format (which naturally wouldn't actually solve
> your issue).

For me the files ceated by JOSM are important, not what JOSM reads.
Having JOSM create something that is stricter than what it can read is
perfectly backwards compatible. But I'd encourage you to also use the
same kind of ordering in Vespucci, see my other mail for reasons.

Not sure versioning would help us here. What would help is some kind of
flag in the header of the file that tells us if the file is ordered and
in what way. Than any software can directly see whether it can work with
the file and, possibly, which algorithm to use.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  joc...@remote.org  https://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688