One month already and I still don't know what to do regarding WebStart.
I found out this: https://developers.redhat.com/products/openjdk/download/
Red Hat is providing an implementation of OpenJDK 8 on Windows containing:
- OpenJDK
- OpenJFX
- WebStart based on IcedTea-Web
- An auto-update feature (a small simple script registered to Windows Task
Scheduler)

The good news:
- This is exactly what we would need for JDK 11.
- I tested it and it works perfectly. We have nothing to change in JOSM to
make it work with this runtime.

The bad news:
- It is only available to Java developers. A (free) RedHat account is
required, and it is forbidden to redistribute it.
- there is a version of Java 9 but it does only contain OpenJDK (thus it is
useless)
- there is no macOS runtime

Does someone on this list has a professionnal RedHat account, or know
someone there? I'd like to know if we can hope to see RedHat releasing
OpenJDK 11 it as a public runtime, free or charge and not requiring a user
account, which would contain the same components as their OpenJDK 8
version. This way we would only have to tell people to uninstall their
Oracle runtime and install the Red Hat runtime instead.