I have seen this also and have filed a bug for it in the past, but that got closed because it was not reproducible.

https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16403

Circumstances to create it included fast succession of entering keys, like what Florian is describing. At a certain point I could not type new text but I could change existing keys. But I have not experienced this in some time now. I'm normally using the webstart JOSM with usually last version of JAVA on Windows 7.

Regards,
Maarten

On 2019-01-07 00:51, Andrew Harvey wrote:
I've run into the same issue a few times.

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 01:54, Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de> wrote:

Hi,
for some month now i have the issue that under some for me
non deterministic circumstances the complete keyboard input
in JOSM stops working.

I was on latest 14530 and switched to 14648 a couple minutes
ago and after 2 Minutes of editing all keyboard input was
disfunctional. The only input method left is the mouse
so i cant save a session because i cant enter a filename
in the file requester popping up.

I am pretty shure the bug existed in 14352 which i was using
a while.

This is on Debian/Stretch with OpenJDK 1.8 - 8u181-b13-2~deb9u1
and a cinnamon environment.

A feeling i have is that it happens when there is keyboard input
while a input masks pops up. So typing really quick triggers
it pretty soon. Pressing "alt-a,return" quickly in a row
to add some cached key/values triggers it somehow quick.

The only way out is to restart josm.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de