I agree.  I don't want to see jQuery get bloated, but if it was
between the two options of "Keep it < 20kb but slower" or "Go to
25-30kb and get major improvements" I'd vote for number two.  I'd only
go for number one if there was really going to be little improvement
to any of the changes.

One of the great things for me about jQuery is the shear number of
plugins that add functionality, rather than putting them in the core.
I think more needs to be made of that fact, rather than Prototype's
"Lets put everything in one file" philosophy.

And the jQuery MVC - Jamal - interests me too.  I'm a CakePHP
developer, and I'd love to start applying the same principles that I
use in that to my jQuery code.  But I don't want the bloat of say Dojo
or Freja.