From: josh zeidner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 3:14 PM
To: jug-discussion@tucson-jug.org
Subject: Re: [jug-discussion] Mac Java Performance

 Hi Landon,

   I have some experience using Java and Eclipse on the Mac.  I had
similar experiences, Java is certainly slower on the Mac than on
Windows.  Apple is to some degree responsible for the development of the
Mac JDK and they  promote Java objects to 'first class citizens'.  They
are typically a few paces behind the windows version.  The media
libraries do work fairly well though I might add.  If you are working
with Imaging in Java I can certainly provide a lot of info.

  I am curious as to why you chose the Mac as your platform...  The last
few run-ins I had with the Mac were 1) a company that was receiving
funding directly from Apple, 2) a small company whos owner was so
absolutely fed up with Windows he was willing to try anything to get
out, 3) my IPod.  Macs are great but the user share is very small.  They
are virtually unused outside of America.  Eastern European developers I
work with have never even seen one...

  -josh