I just noticed, I haven't mentioned anywhere, that this will be OpenGL
plotting only.
There are just limited options for rendering shapes, but there are
definitely some more tricks to render shapes, than by approximating them
with a gazillion triangles.
One is, to draw pixels on a quad in the fragment shader, at every position
a shape function returns true, which also allows for some various methods
of anti-aliasing.
But this is restricted to 2D planes, as far as I'm concerned.
But I'm still learning GLSL and always find new ways of supporting magical
stuff (or nasty platform dependencies).

I did think about svg/pdf/latex output, but this is quite a big project by
itself. But I'll keep it in mind and try to design the API in a way, that
it behaves friendly towards those kind of projects.
It might not be terribly difficult though, if every of my render primitives
implements a function, that returns the corresponding svg/pdf/latex code.
Jpeg support should be rather trivial in comparison, thanks to Images.jl =)