Support for Microsoft platforms is obviously important. Not just Azure, but
even AWS keeps coming out with really cool stuff almost by the day. It is
tempting to think that an army of engineers can shorten everything and get
things done quicker (mythical man month?) - but I personally don't think
that things will work out that way. There is no amount of money that can
bring all the key contributors to Julia together - they are all doing
dramatically different things. With $X million, one may be able to assemble
a different team, but then the outcome will certainly be different.

Even with JuliaBox, we have built things just bit by bit as we need them,
and that has turned out to be a more useful way to think about many of
these things. It is not just about writing lots of wrappers, but thinking
about the right abstractions, and that either comes from someone with deep
experience and thinking, or by actually doing things and reflecting on how
to do things better.

The question I would rather ask is - what do we want in Julia 1.0, and the
surrounding ecosystem (IDEs, packages, cloud platforms, software stacks,
etc.). Like I said, I will shortly clean up what I have written up and post
it here. From there, we should as a community ask about how to best get
there - whether it is about finding funds, finding people, finding space,
or finding pizza - most likely a combination of all these.

-viral