In general,

1. if my code stretches to multiple lines, that is usually a warning
sign that I may be doing something wrong. Expressions that are very long
are difficult to understand, and thus are likely source of bugs.

2. if I review my code and find that I really need multiple lines,
ending with a binary operator or wrapping the whole thing (or the part
that would break) in ()'s usually helps.

IMO further syntax for line continuations is not necessary, but of
course reasonable people can hold differing opinions on this.

Best,

Tamas