This information is hugely beneficial in science/mathematics, especially
for a PhD. It means that if you start a project in Julia now, although
there will be some bumps for when versions change, the project will likely
end after v1.0 is released (say 2 years?) and so your code should be stable
when complete. It could have been 3-5 years for v1.0 (that's actually what
I thought before reading it), in which case you know your code will be
broken soon after publication, and so you should think about either not
publishing the code or putting it to a Github repo with tests and be ready
for the extra work of updating it.

For industry, it probably means something similar.

It's by no means a guarantee, but as a ballpark it's still extremely useful
just to know what they have in mind. Since it's so soon, it also tells us
that the "put the extra stuff in a package" instead of growing base
mentality is how they are continuing forward (it's the leaner version of
Julia that they have been pushing with at least v0.5 which gives them more
mobility), which I think is good and it means I should plan to really plug
into the package ecosystem, which may not be stable at the v1.0 release.