On 8 July 2016 at 17:20, Tim Holy <tim.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The string unification is already in julia-0.5.

I don't think I know what "string unification" means, but I guess part of
it is that Base.String will become ok to use again?

> There are functions called String(), Int(), and Float64(). In some cases
> there
> are lowercase variants, and these often "do more" (e.g., `float` will
> parse a
> string and return an AbstractFloat). The uppercase versions are the
> minimalist
> type-conversion forms.
>
> Int isn't an alias for Int64: it's an alias for either Int32 or Int64,
> depending on whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit computer. There's no
> analogous issue for Float32/Float64 (these are not CPU-dependent types),
> which
> is why Float won't become an alias for one of them.

Great. And thanks for explaining. Will there also be Int32() and Int64()
then? For that matter, will there be upper case functions for every
concrete type? ... I'm just curious. I wouldn't actually use that feature.

So I think your list is as done as it's going to get :-).

> --Tim

Ok. I'm happy with String(), Int(), and Float64(). They are consistent
which is the most important thing.

Cheers,
Daniel.