I ran some more tests with both my original code and some test codes, now
with the 0.5 release version.  I would conclude that memory is not leaking.
 The memory usage as reported by top is the actual memory used or having
been just used.  Although the usage number does not drop after the code
finishes, it does not further grow with new runs.  Actually with new runs
the memory usage starts afresh.

It could be that the release version of 0.5 fixes this.  Anyway before any
further evidence, we can disregard this thread now.