> Regarding the use of logarithmic scale: Google map uses 18 levels of
zooming with each level doubling the resolution of the previous one. It can
cover from the entire earth surface to the street level, sufficient in most
cases.

That is a very good point.

Techies obviously enjoy choices but too many ways to do about same thing
causes confusion to regular call center workers.

Another good point..  This saves the development list from the inevitable
suggestion by me that perhaps we should implement the Google Map zoom tool.
:-)

I think if I can find how to set the "step size" of the JSlider then I have
the control.

I think that step size is not the issue, and that the logarithmic scale will
be difficult to override.  Perhaps it would be easier to simply add "+" and
"-" buttons on either end that zoom by a factor of two.  This is a
relatively standard UI zoom feature.

regards,
Larry