Larry,

Thanks for the response.

You wrote: "I think bug fixing should be done in the trunk so that you
get feedback as soon as possible."

I only thought of branching for two (2) reasons:

(1) So I don't break the nightly build with my changes.
(2) So I can produce a regular build of the branch while giving the
other core programmers a chance to evaulate each change.
(3) I'm killing some of my own JUMP efforts to focus on bug fixing in
OpenJUMP. This means this will be a long-term campaign instead of just
a couple patches. (This is my goal anyways.) It seemed that this type
of long-term quality control effort might be better suited for a
branch.

However, if you feel strongly that the changes should occur in the
core, I can do things there.

Larry wrote: "What kind of unit tests - Junit?  Which version?  Sounds
reasonable in general, although it may be a case of "closing the
stable door after the horse has run away." "Tilting at windmills" and
all that...  :-)"

I've developed a small library called SUTIJ (Simple Unit Testing In
Java). I wrote the code after some frustration with trying to do some
simple things with JUnit. SUTIJ doesn't use refelction, annotations,
inner classes, or other Java black magic. It is just plain old Java
code. It also makes it really easy to implement custom testing
behavior, such as defining the order in which test methods are
executed, setting up tailored test suites to excercise only specific
aspects of a code base, and other things like that. I'm using it to
test another project. Everything is run without a GUI and test results
(pass or fail) are written to a test file. I don't want to bore you
with the details, so here is a link to the SUTIJ source code:

http://surveyos.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/surveyos/java/sutij/trunk/src/

I may be chasing horses out of the stable, but I think having a
comprehensive suite of unit tests may make future refactoring easier.

Larry wrote: "You may know that there are some Junit tests from the
original JUMP already for:"

I did not know that. Thanks for posting the list. I will reuse this
code if I can.

Larry wrote: "Can you be more specific about utility code consolidation?"

Sure. Let me give you one example of the type of consolidation I'm
talking about:

- Moving the findFilesRecursively method from the PlugInManager class
to the FileUtil class.

I can post more examples if you want.

The Sunburned Surveyor