That is a great beantool Michaël!  It certainly demonstrates how much can
be accomplished with a little code.

If it was to be implemented as a plugin, we have space on the Style tab of
the Layer Properties dialog.  It could be implemented as a slider like the
Transparency adjustment that proportionally adjusts line width, or by using
an option checkbox, make the slider change to absolute width.  Both modes
would be useful.

Larry