I added the new tooltip as I needed to check which layer (Layer.class) was
already saved as file and which was still in memory: I found that, if I was
using several tools (= creating several layers in memory), than the list
was quite long and I (the user) had only the right-click option (or closing
the project) to reselect the layer  needed.
Than I realized that other infos should be  useful for user, file path for
instance. That's why the tooltip took that size.
To plan the size I only checked on Kosmo code.
Again. I can revert modifications and make this new more informative
tooltip as an option.
So user can choose whether they want to know only the feature-count (the OJ
1.6 tooltip) or more information (actual OJ NB).

@Jukka. Sextante Raster Image Layer has already a more informative
right-click plugin. It is called Raster Layer Property. I probably put more
info that an user needed [more that other OpenSource GIS probabily ;)] but
they cover any possible need we can find (path, raster, extension). I'd
probably add a new panel for the raster cell statistics (which actually is
an independent plugin). One of the potential of this raster property plugin
is that all the info can be saved as an HTML file: I adopted a conservative
solution using panels/frames already embedded into OJ (no need of extra one)
 I agree with you that Layer.class property panel should be updated. And
also WMS probably need a similar panel, even if actually some wms info are
displayed using "Edit WMS layer" or the BeanTool>Display_WMS_url.
Anyhow a common solution for all the type of layerable should be welcome
(to make life easier for users)

my 2 cents