We have pushed MX80 very hard with PPPOE and found the 4k number to be
realistic.  Of course it depends on what other features you are turning on as
well.

I worked with Juniper team to perform POC’s and load testing with “real life
environments” and at the end of the testing (and based on what I see with
several of them deployed at customers) the 4k number is “safe”.

The MX104 most likely won’t be able to handle any more subscribers than 4k
neither - but have not seen any POC”s or deployments yet on that hardware.

Paul