Has anybody considered extending the jupyter messaging protocol to allow
kernels to optionally implement statement-by-statement execution?  This
would allow users to create notebooks from raw scripts, akin to RStudio.
 The behavior of the parser would be up to the kernel, but typically it
would parse a code string into statements that could be executed

I'd be interested in potentially adding this feature -- I've done so
out-of-band for R and Python -- but am curious if there's a preferred path.
 I could imagine either extending execute_request to take a "split"
parameter, although that may get confusing since there would then be
multiple execute_results.  The alternative would be to implement a new
message type, execute_statements, then would parse the code string and
issue multiple execute_requests.  This should be backward compatible since
the output messages would be unchanged.

This could be combined with something like: jupyter notebook run
analysis.py --output=results.ipynb

Is this worth pursuing as part of an enhancement proposal?