Min,

What you suggest is exactly what we do currently.  The downside is that we
need to implement parsers for each language and put another proxy in front
of the kernels or kernel gateway and ensure that our parsers are using the
same underlying runtime as the kernel if they parse a proper AST. So the
advantage of having a feature like this would be that kernels could
implement this behavior directly, against the same runtime, and everybody
could share this implementation easily across both commands like jupyter
run and kernel gateway.

They very real downside, which you allude to, is there are many approaches
to chunking a file.  For instance, one might want to use something like Rmd
or allow some output control in comment pragmas.  This could be
accommodated by having a style parameter.

Tristan