I don't believe any protocol changes are needed for this. You can already
run a script through Jupyter, breaking it up however you want. The trick
would be writing a runner for a given script (you would need to write a
different one for every language to do the parsing correctly), and then
submit the chunks as you see fit. Alternatively, you could rely on simple
markers in comments to identify the chunks to split on.

There is [a PR](https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter_client/pull/184) adding
a `jupyter run` command that executes a script as a whole file. It doesn't
record the output into a notebook, but a similar script that does would not
be a large project.

What do you see as a needed change to the protocol that isn't served by
what we already have?

-Min