Google's 'Project Zero' security effort just disclosed a DNS rebinding
vulnerability in at least one popular Bittorrent client. There's some
interesting description which helps me understand how it works:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1447
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/bittorrent-users-beware-flaw-lets-hackers-control-your-computer/

First off, I think this supports our decision to have token authentication
enabled by default, even though it's inconvenient in some situations. As I
understand it, this should prevent DNS rebinding attacks from taking any
action that requires authentication.

Second, the fix Tavis Ormandy suggested for Transmission is interesting:

"""

I discussed this with a jannh, I think a good solution would work like this:

* If a connection is over the loopback interface, the hostname must
match "localhost",
  "localhost.", "127.0.0.1", or "[::1]". This is the same list CUPS uses:
  https://github.com/apple/cups/blob/master/scheduler/client.c#L3752
* If a connection is not over loopback, allow any hostname iff auth is enabled.
* If a connection is not over loopback and auth is not enabled,
require the user to
  create a whitelist of acceptable hostnames (They can specify * if they really
  really don't want security).
"""

Should we look at employing hostname whitelisting in addition to
authentication, either as an
extra line of defence or as a convenience for users on localhost?

My leaning would be to do it as an extra line of defence; given how
complex browsers are and
the fact that Jupyter is designed to execute arbitrary code, defence
in depth makes sense.

Thomas