John Wilson wrote:
> Note *none* of the above require the dynamic language to support
> optional static typing so I think it's an issue for Jython and JRuby
> too.

It's not nearly as much of an issue as you think. I tend to see
categories of types here: integral types and composite types. When
calling dynamic typed methods, obviously type is not examined unless by
the actual method being called. When calling static-typed methods, JRuby
only has implicit coercions for integral types like strings and numbers.
Composite types either need to actually be the type required by the
target method (it must implement Map if it's to be passed to a Map
method) or you must convert them into a type acceptable to the method
you want to call. In no cases do we attempt to automatically coerce such
types since that introduces an unacceptable object construction,
conversion, and identity concern into method invocation.

We don't try to pretend we're calling a dynamic language when we call
Java...we fail fast if we can't do an integral type coercion.

- Charlie