Jochen Theodorou wrote:
> 1) build a list of all methods with the name of the method we want to calls
> 2) remove the methods that are not valid for the call
> 3) if more than one method remains calculate the "method distance"
> between the call and the method
> 4) the method with my minimum distance will be selected
> 5) if at the end I have two or more methods with the same minimum
> distance I have to report an error
> So.. how do other languages do that?

I'm not going to try to describe the JRuby way, because it's not nearly
as good as we'd like it. What I would like to do is say we need "one
way" we can use to do this method selection and dispatch in all our
languages.

Attila mentioned that he had been working on a library to do dynamic
dispatch on Java types according to the specified behavior that javac
follows for static dispatch, and I presume he meant the MOP library
that's now available in release form. If that's the case, it would be an
additional, very compelling reason for us to try to back that library by
implementing the interfaces in our language impls. I've already done a
first pass in JRuby, and it's not a hard process; if both Groovy and
JRuby implemnted the interfaces (or a version of then we could evolve
out of discussion) we might mutually gain the benefit of Attila's Java
types MOP for free, and have consistent dispatch behavior across both
languages.

- Charlie