ngraham added a comment.

  In D11569#231663 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11569#231663>, @mmustac wrote:

  > I have two questions regarding this "open with" topic.
  >  Is the displayed app the one which is also set as default for this file
type or the first alternative (2nd app) ? If it's the default one why should
someone make a right click on a file to open it with his/her default app
instead of making a single/double click on it?

  It's rather odd that there's no Open item in Dolphin's context menu in the
first place, and this patch remedies that. Also, this is a general API, so
other clients can potentially benefit from it even when it's not used in a
context menu. (e.g. Gwenview could adopt this to make it easier to open images
in other apps, where currently the only option is to use a sub-menu)

  > The second point: Shouldn't the "Open with" stuff be at the very beginning
of the menu when we have a file selected for quick access? (1. opening, 2.
create new files (for folders), 3. direct file operations, 4. additional file
operations, 5. everything else)

  I would approve of that. It's what macOS does, FWIW:

  F5762927: finder menu.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5762927>

  As you can see from the above image, macOS doesn't tell you what app will
launch in response to the Open action, so this patch would actually represent a
usability improvement over that. However, re-ordering the menu would need to be
changed in Dolphin, not here in KIO. That change (if we do it) should go into
18.08.0, to make sure that it can rely on this change (if it's accepted).

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO

To: ngraham, rkflx, #vdg, #frameworks, #dolphin, dfaure, elvisangelaccio
Cc: mmustac, davidedmundson, broulik, dfaure, elvisangelaccio, anthonyfieroni,