rkflx added a comment.

  Looked at this now: The first iterations with the long list of apps and the
header were not all that great (in particular for folders the list got much too
long), but after @anthonyfieroni's idea I guess the current version is quite
good. Showing the default app again at the first level is not that useful
(@mmustac also noticed that), but if it helps consistency I'm not against it…

  As for adding "Application" everywhere, I agree with @broulik. I don't feel
that's necessary to achieve a good flow. Also macOS and Windows are simply
using "Open With …  Other …", counteracting your work elsewhere to make users
from those platforms feel more at home. In general shorter descriptions are
faster to read, and for some languages longer descriptions can make the menu
almost too wide to still look reasonable. For me the following compromise would
work well:

  Open With…
  Open With Gwenview, Open With…
  Open With Gwenview, Open With > Other Application…

  ---

  Code LGTM.

  In D11569#231550 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11569#231550>, @abetts wrote:

  > +1 on this! Easy access to apps!

  Not sure how this patch makes access easier?

  ---

  > Open Gwenview > navigate to an image > right-click: no change, Gwenview
uses a custom implementation in `fileopscontextmanageritem.cpp` rather than
this nice API, boo

  There are two good reasons for this:

  - Gwenview implemented this in fc120d0fcab1
<https://phabricator.kde.org/R260:fc120d0fcab1d6442ab056bc29038bd1abeec2fe> in
2008, but the feature was available in kdelibs only one year later in
b128c0d4a516
<https://phabricator.kde.org/R446:b128c0d4a5165c89e605ed29e0aab9878f4b2b8b>.
  - The action is not only used in the context menu, but also in the regular
menu and most importantly in the sidebar, where there is only space for a
single item. However, the generic code would result in more than one item.

  I'm not against changing Gwenview to this, but first we'd need to make more
space and/or reorganize the long list, which is easier said than done because
we cannot lose existing functionality. Solving Bug 211756 is another
prerequisite.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO

To: ngraham, rkflx, #vdg, #frameworks, #dolphin, dfaure, elvisangelaccio