rjvbb added a comment.

  > The discussion in that bug kind of petered out, unfortunately.

  It did, and indeed. I thought a fix had been implemented for KFontRequester,
but either I'm mistaken, or I have a fix locally.

  > I think you're the only one who understands what's going on there, so would
you care to have another go at fixing it?

  I seem to recall that some people (the Plasma guys?) thought that the
stylename should be specified. At least my fix to plasma-integration (D9070
<https://phabricator.kde.org/D9070>) didn't remove the stylenames from the
DefaultFontData table. That's how I realised what was happening here: I forced
a default font config by removing all the font configs from my kdeglobals, and
thus got the fonts from that table - styleNames included.

  >   Alternatively, we could ship the part of this patch that doesn't depend
on font squeezing, and then ship that part later once 378523 is fixed.

  I'm close (hopefully) to having a working alternative based on letterspacing.
That property is not affected by stylenames and shouldn't be affected by
FontConfig settings either (space between letters is more a text rendering than
a font property).

To: rjvbb, ngraham
Cc: kde-frameworks-devel, michaelh, ngraham, bruns