We're evaluating KEA (version 1.2.0) as our DHCP platform moving forward.  In
my testing with our Docsis/HFC network, I am not able to have a docsis modem
respond to a DHCPOFFER message from KEA.  I can get the same modem to respond
to a similarly formatted DHCPOFFER from ISC DHCP.

Looking at the tcpdump output from the server, the only difference that stands
out is the Client-ID (option 61).  While, in both cases, the docsis modem does
supply the Client-ID in the DHCPDISCOVER packet, the KEA server DOES include
the Client-ID in the resulting DHCPOFFER where the ISC DHCP server DOES NOT
include the Client-ID in it's DHCPOFFER.

(Interesting note: RFC 2131 (Draft Standard) states that the server "MUST NOT"
include the Client-ID in the DHCPOFFER.  At the same time, RFC 6842 (Proposed
Standard) indicates the server MUST include the Client-ID IF the client
provided it in the DHCPDISCOVER.)

I need to determine why the KEA offer is not 'working'.  Admittedly, I do not
know for certain that the Client-ID is the root of my problem.  I think the
next step is to somehow prove that success or failure does indeed hinge on the
inclusion of the Client-ID field in the DHCPOFFER.  I'm at somewhat of an
impasse, as I cannot figure out how to tell KEA to NOT include the option.  (At
the same time, I cannot figure out how to tell ISC DHCP to include the option -
though this is off topic for the Kea-users list.)

Does anyone have any insight into a configuration option to disable option 61?
Is there a generic way to disable a certain option via the kea.conf file?  Or,
where in the code can I 'flip the switch' the turn option 61 off on an offer?

Thanks in advance,

Duane