From: Emmanuel Lécharny [mailto:elecha...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 6:24 AM
To: kerby@directory.apache.org
Subject: Re: Release names

Le 05/04/16 00:04, Julian Hyde a écrit :
> Has anyone commented that on your release naming policy? Maybe you’ve got a
> good reason for including “RC” in release names, but I wanted to point out
> that they look strange to people.
>
> Josh Elser just included Kerby 1.0.0-RC2 in Apache Calcite’s Avatica
> sub-project[1], and my first reaction was, “Why is he including a
> release candidate as a dependency?” We have a policy of not depending
> on release candidates or snapshots. In Apache, a release candidate has
> not necessarily passed a vote,
At The ASF *EVERY* single release passed a vote. Always. That of course
includes RC.

A Release Candidate is just a pre-GA version : we think we are almost done, but
we would be sure not to miss obvious bugs before going to GA, just for the sake
of providing a stable and production ready product.

> so is not necessarily “clean” from an IP standpoint.

They *are* clean. We don't release if it's not clean from an IP standpoint.