> I may have experienced this issue also on bionic (18.04) with the
current kernel version as of today (4.15.0-13.14).
I have a system running bionic and it's fine (see #34). Always has been. It's
never run anything else (just over 2 weeks old...). It's always had the "new"
It's running nightly auto-updates.
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.
intel-microcode 3.20180312.0 causes lockup at login screen(w/ linux-
Status in intel-microcode package in Ubuntu:
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
Status in intel-microcode source package in Trusty:
Status in linux source package in Trusty:
Status in intel-microcode source package in Xenial:
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
Status in intel-microcode source package in Artful:
Status in linux source package in Artful:
* Some systems experience kernel lockups after updating to the latest
package or when receiving updated microcode from a BIOS update.
* In many cases, the lockups occur before users can reach the login screen
it very difficult to debug/workaround.
* The most reliable test case currently known is to install the sssd
may occur during package installation (disable IBPB by writing 0 to
/proc/sys/kernel/ibpb_enabled to prevent this from happening). A lockup
likely occur just after booting the system up as the lock screen is
* The fix is in the task switching code of the kernel so complexity of the
I don't know if this is a problem with the kernel or the microcode,
but we have a significant number of computers in our organization (on
both 16.04 and 17.10) that fail if they have both updated. Booting
with either linux-image-4.13.0-36-generic or intel-microcode
3.20180108.0+really20170707ubuntu17.10.1 allows all these computers to
## Workaround ##
1. Boot the system with the dis_ucode_ldr kernel boot parameter to temporary
avoid the problem:
2. Install the previous version of package from
3. (Optional) Hold the package so that it won't be upgraded accidentally
sudo apt-mark hold intel-microcode
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
Post to : email@example.com
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp