Experiencing freezes on multiple Ubuntu 16.04 LTS desktops of my
organization, all using sssd. Freezes started around April 9th, but we
usually deploy new packages after a time period of 5 to 7 days. I have
experienced freezes with kernels 4.4.0-119, 4.4.40-116 and even
4.4.0-112 on my own desktop. No more freezes after upgrading to kernel
4.4.0-120.

  intel-microcode 3.20180312.0 causes lockup at login screen(w/ linux-
  image-4.13.0-37-generic)

Status in intel-microcode package in Ubuntu:
Status in intel-microcode source package in Trusty:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Trusty:
  Fix Committed
Status in intel-microcode source package in Xenial:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in intel-microcode source package in Artful:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Artful:

   * Some systems experience kernel lockups after updating to the latest
intel-microcode
     package or when receiving updated microcode from a BIOS update.

   * In many cases, the lockups occur before users can reach the login screen
which makes
     it very difficult to debug/workaround.

  [Test Case]

   * The most reliable test case currently known is to install the sssd
package. Lockups
     may occur during package installation (disable IBPB by writing 0 to
     /proc/sys/kernel/ibpb_enabled to prevent this from happening). A lockup
will most
     likely occur just after booting the system up as the lock screen is
displayed.

  [Regression Potential]

   * The fix is in the task switching code of the kernel so complexity of the
change is
     relatively high.

  [Original Report]

  I don't know if this is a problem with the kernel or the microcode,
  but we have a significant number of computers in our organization (on
  both 16.04 and 17.10) that fail if they have both updated.  Booting
  with either linux-image-4.13.0-36-generic or intel-microcode
  3.20180108.0+really20170707ubuntu17.10.1 allows all these computers to
  boot.

  ## Workaround ##
  1. Boot the system with the dis_ucode_ldr kernel boot parameter to temporary
avoid the problem:
     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters
  2. Install the previous version of package from

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-security-proposed/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/14261530/+files/intel-microcode_3.20180108.0+really20170707ubuntu16.04.1_amd64.deb
  3. (Optional) Hold the package so that it won't be upgraded accidentally
     sudo apt-mark hold intel-microcode