I was never able to reproduce this issue on Ubuntu 14.04 but, after
reviewing the Spectre V2 mitigations in the 3.13 based 14.04 kernel, I
think the 14.04 kernel could be affected by this bug. Additionally, I
didn't want the decision on when to make use of IBPB to be different in
14.04 than in all of the newer Ubuntu releases (16.04, 17.10, and soon
to be 18.04). That's why I marked this bug as affecting 14.04 and
submitted a fix for that kernel.

That being said, I don't think that we have any 14.04 users watching
this bug so I did some SRU verification work myself. I installed sssd,
the 3.13.0-145.194 kernel from trusty-proposed, and experienced no
issues. I verified that the /proc/sys/kernel/ibpb_enabled file reported
'1', indicating that IBPB was enabled. I also verified that the
IBRS/IBPB/retpoline/spectre messages emitted from the kernel at boot
time were as-expected. Retpoline was present, IBRS was disabled (due to
retpoline), and IBPB was enabled.

** Tags removed: verification-needed-trusty
** Tags added: verification-done-trusty

  intel-microcode 3.20180312.0 causes lockup at login screen(w/ linux-
  image-4.13.0-37-generic)

Status in intel-microcode package in Ubuntu:
Status in intel-microcode source package in Trusty:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Trusty:
  Fix Committed
Status in intel-microcode source package in Xenial:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in intel-microcode source package in Artful:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Artful:

   * Some systems experience kernel lockups after updating to the latest
intel-microcode
     package or when receiving updated microcode from a BIOS update.

   * In many cases, the lockups occur before users can reach the login screen
which makes
     it very difficult to debug/workaround.

  [Test Case]

   * The most reliable test case currently known is to install the sssd
package. Lockups
     may occur during package installation (disable IBPB by writing 0 to
     /proc/sys/kernel/ibpb_enabled to prevent this from happening). A lockup
will most
     likely occur just after booting the system up as the lock screen is
displayed.

  [Regression Potential]

   * The fix is in the task switching code of the kernel so complexity of the
change is
     relatively high.

  [Original Report]

  I don't know if this is a problem with the kernel or the microcode,
  but we have a significant number of computers in our organization (on
  both 16.04 and 17.10) that fail if they have both updated.  Booting
  with either linux-image-4.13.0-36-generic or intel-microcode
  3.20180108.0+really20170707ubuntu17.10.1 allows all these computers to
  boot.

  ## Workaround ##
  1. Boot the system with the dis_ucode_ldr kernel boot parameter to temporary
avoid the problem:
     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters
  2. Install the previous version of package from

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-security-proposed/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+build/14261530/+files/intel-microcode_3.20180108.0+really20170707ubuntu16.04.1_amd64.deb
  3. (Optional) Hold the package so that it won't be upgraded accidentally
     sudo apt-mark hold intel-microcode