On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 12:15:51AM -0500, Don Zickus wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 11:47:41PM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > > So, what do I do? I simply prep from source
> > > (rpmbuild -bp kernel.spec)
> > > and then cd to ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.35.10-74/linux-2.6.35.i686,
> > > copy my current kernel's config file to .config, run
> > > make oldconfig and
> > > male all
> > > and that does it.
> > > The new config file inherits my enabled drivers selections.
> >
> > >From the kernel spec:
> >
> > # Dynamically generate kernel .config files from config-* files
> > make -f %{SOURCE20} VERSION=%{version} configs
> >
> > And Source20 is Makefile.config, from which with a bit of effort, you can
> > determine the order in which the various config-* files are smashed
> > together to form the end result .config files.
> >
> > I think this topic actually came up once in the past, and an idea to add
> > an extra layer similar to the 'if rhel' clause in the spec was kicked
> > around, but never came to fruition. In theory, that file would, if
> > present, apply additional Kconfig changes from an additional overrides
> > file. It could be an empty file by default, but obviously named or
> > documented, so that anyone rebuilding could simply put their assorted
> > additional config options in there, and they'd always be applied over the
> > top of the stock config options.
>
> Ha!  I can't believe the rhel stuff I added is still there.

I dunno if it got used for RHEL6 initially or not... I'd be inclined to
rip it out, and we can add something similar back next time we've got
another RHEL major release on the horizon... Maybe that gives away too
many secrets though. :)

> We could probably mimic the old linux-kernel-test.patch which was a stub
> patch to allow developers to quickly test their patches without mucking
> with the spec file, but instead for config files (like the %rhel thing).

I think this would suffice:

# This file is empty in stock builds, but can be populated with local
# config option overrides for custom local builds
Source1000: config-local

Then, in %prep, in a loop similar to the if rhel one:

    ./merge.pl %{SOURCE1000} $i.tmp > $i

Since the file is empty in stock configs, the above in that case would
simply be a no-op. If its populated by someone doing a local rebuild, then
their config options get overlayed on top of the stock ones.

--
Jarod Wilson
ja...@redhat.com