On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 02:34:28PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Don Zickus <dzic...@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> Any chance we could drop the base- in those names and just have
> >> configs/debug/
> >> configs/generic
> >>
> >> The base- is somewhat superfluous and is annoying for auto complete ;-)
> >
> > It is, but was specifically added so kernels that want to do overrides like
> > RHEL could add their own custom configs/debug and configs/generic.
> >
> > I am open to name changes but the goal was to use Fedora configs as a base
> > and then allow the ability to override through other directories.
>
> I don't see how 's/base-//' would stop the ability for overrides? Do
> you have an explicit example of how you see that working?

THe way it works is configs/base-generic creates the initial template.  Then
the scripts walk the configs/generic directory to override anything it
finds.  This makes it clear what the differences are with Fedora and when
Fedora changes an option, it makes it easy to trigger a review of said
change.

I hope that clarifies things.

Cheers,
Don