Hi Robert,

Thanks for your long answer.

The libs are not stopping me for professional use, just wasting time to do
my own or modify the existing ones. I’ve spent all the day yesterday on that
and I’ve still to spend a lot of time to change all the components text and
silkscreen size to get something consistent ! The minimum is to get all the
components with the same visual aspect from the simple R to the most complex
connector or chip. The lib management is hard to handle and that also
requires a lot of time to get nice libs.  I’ve to admit that everything can
be done thanks to several workarounds, but the amount of time needed to get
a correct result is simply amazing.

What is really a problem with Kicad for me is the ability to add some
mechanical schematics from DXF or 3D manufacturer models.

My current project on Kicad is the first one for a professional use and the
PCB must fit in a ALUSTYLE Bopla box. The mechanical integration is
sensitive as there is no much place to fit everything and some components
like the LCD or connectors must be accurately positioned (tolerance about
0.1mm). I’ve drawn the box on the drawing layer but this is really not easy
as Kicad is not mechanics drawing oriented. I could approach something but
I’m not happy with the accuracy of the design. I have to admit that if you
spend a lot of time and have many iterations you can approach an acceptable
result.

I’m the first guy to promote Kicad. Last Month I’ve even given a training
for some hams friends, because I really think this is a nice CAD tool for
the one who hasn’t too much exigencies. But the different limitations I’m
facing now just make me wasting really a lot of time. I’ve started this PCB
5 days ago and I’ve still not drawn a track ! Just created components and
mechanics… It’s a little bit discouraging.

I would be happy to publish my libs once completed but I don’t believe that
is the good method. One more lib with some components inside… lack of
consistency. However it may help saving time for some people and I will post
it soon. In order to get something valuable for lib sharing, I think a
moderator should publish the ‘rules’ for creating components and libs, then
receive the libs from everybody, check it and then include the component in
the core libs. Thus that would bring component consistency, limited libs
number and sorted libs… That would be great.. I now this is a lot of work.

A friend of mine is using Altium Designer and is happy with it. I decided to
look at its features and watched the videos on their website :
http://videos.altium.com/trainingcenter/od_player.html

I’ve been really  impressed by the nice editing features and the 2D/3D
mechanics integration that I decided to download the demo version from their
website.

My first overall impression is that it’s much more complex than Kicad of
course and for someone who just need to design few PCB per year that might
not be interesting to spend time for training. However, the edit functions
for schematics and PCB are very very powerful, helping saving a lot of time
(easy to reuse part of  SCH or PCB, tracks can be moved without redrawing,
and so on…)

The versions costs 1000 or 4000$ but I haven’t yet checked the differences
between both. 1K$ may be acceptable for me.

I’m going to spend a while to see if Altium could be fast to learn. If so
and if it really bring to me the ability to manage the mechanics part easily
I may swith. I’m using Kicad since more than one year and made few PCB. But
until now, none of them were to be industrialized so these limitations where
I’m spending time were not important.

My conclusion is that drawing PCB is not my added value as a designer and I
need to get something efficient which really give me the opportunity to do
the job with the minimum spent time.

Best

Stephane