Germany Warns U.S. on Wider Anti-Terror War

November 28, 2001 11:56 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany warned the United States Wednesday against
expanding its war on terrorism in Afghanistan to countries such as Iraq and
Somalia. "All European nations would view a broadening (of the conflict) to
include Iraq highly skeptically -- and that is putting it diplomatically,"
Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer told parliament. Chancellor Gerhard
Schroeder reiterated his support for the U.S.-led coalition but said Germany
was not "simply waiting to intervene militarily elsewhere in the world, such
as Iraq or Somalia." Both men suggested that bombing Iraq could trigger a
wider, uncontrollable conflict in the Middle East. "We should be
particularly
careful about a discussion about new targets in the Middle East -- more
could
blow up in our faces there than any of us realize," Schroeder said. "We
should try and solve the region's problems politically," Fischer added.
President Bush declared last week that "the front against terror is not just
in Afghanistan....we're going to fight terror wherever it exists." This week
Bush insisted that President Saddam Hussein allow inspectors back into Iraq
to show he was not developing weapons of mass destruction. Asked what would
happen if Saddam refused, Bush replied: "He'll find out." Some U.S. and
Israeli officials have mentioned a putative "phase two," in which the
international community would act to isolate a range of Arab and Islamic
militant groups and states accused of sponsoring them. But there have been
fears that a move into somewhere like Iraq could strain the coalition,
unless
Baghdad was proven to have had a hand in the September 11 suicide attacks
that killed nearly 4,000 people in the United States. Schroeder told
parliament: "We will do what is necessary. We will do everything to make
sure
the anti-terror coalition stays solid. But we should be careful about
comments in magazines, newspapers, or from certain junior ministers, looking
for new targets already." Last week a junior minister in the Foreign
Ministry, Christoph Zoepel, said that Schroeder's Social Democrats would
back
an anti-terror group in Somalia.