Sid,

Congrats on making it and congrats on your first flight.

I had the same issue you had with my trim tab. My trim tab motor was located
far from my trim tab and I used a Nyrod cable that bent and traveled all the
way up behind my seat. I found that there was to much play in it by having the
motor mounted so far from the trim tab and trying to keep the Nyrod cable
clamped in place without binding it. I spent a lot of time relocating the trim
motor in the back of the fuse and closer to the trim tab and horizontal
stabilizer. This helped but it did not completely eliminate the play in my trim
tab and its effectiveness.

I would suggest that if you trim tab motor is not located in your horizontal
stab that you relocate it there. I am going to relocate mine there. This should
eliminate all play or binding. There may be several members here that have
documented how to do this but I suggest you start out by looking at Dan Heaths
pages and pictures on how to do this. He has done a lot of research and had
both failures and success on how to do this and what to use and not use. I will
be using Dan's pictures and procedures on how to redo mine.

On the oil cooling. I am not sure if you are running a VW or a Corvair. I would
assume that if you are having oil cooling issues, that you are running a VW. My
advice. Dont do what I did. I bought a big oil cooler and then bought all the
Earls fittings and such and by the time I got done with it. I would have been
far ahead to just have bought the Revmaster large oil cooler kit. I am saying
that from a cost to build standpoint. I think my 60 dollar oil cooler cost me
over 300 bucks by the time I got it done. I think the Revmaster is less than
200 but I have not looked it up lately.

As it relates to cooling and the high pressure and low pressure side of your
engine and cowling. I have done a lot of experimenting in this area. Not as
much as some but a bit. I was never really able to make much of a difference in
oil cooling by making changes to my cowling both upper and lower. Someone
correct me if I am wrong but I think if your inlets are farther away from your
prop hub or as far outside as you can get them, you are going to get better air
flow in. Look at Marl Langfords site for data on this I believe. I think Mark
L. has done a lot of study and research on high pressure side, lower pressure
side and the effects on cooling. I guess I should check some of my resources
before I make those claims.

I am also thinking of adding some baffle seals around my nose gear strut to be
sure that I am not allowing a significant volume of air to enter into the lower
cowling and cause an increase in pressure on the low pressure side or bottom of
the motor.

Jeff York
KR2
2010 National Gathering Peoples Choice, Best Interior
2011 Air Fest ??? ??? ??? ??? ? Best Experimental, Best Instrument, Best
Interior